2013年12月6日金曜日

Old Art, or Lack Thereof

I lost the photos of my high school art project. All I have left are one or two edited pictures. I didn't expect myself to be this bummed about it.
(I even fished out my old computer to see if I had any photos in there - but all I got was a busted back.)

As much as I am fully aware of the extent of my artistic talent (which is abysmal), I must say I quite like art and drawing. High school was a highly disturbing time of self-awareness, and I vented a lot of it out through the IB visual art program. (It was then that I realized I pretty much suck at art, but might be good at research.)
I did what I wanted -to various levels of success- and was able to justify what I wanted. It was a good feeling.

Thinking back about my projects, it's surprising that what I'm interested in really hasn't changed since then. The theme/topics I chose were very... haphazard and not uniform, but they were all reflections of my areas of interest and therefore in a coherent list, in my head.
(Flowers, manga/comics, the aestheticism movement in Japanese literature, eyes, selfhood and identity, Japanese culture (from youkai to smoking to whales... I developed an irrational sense of fear towards whales because I researched about them and stared at photos for too long) etc.)

I threw out a majority of the actual art pieces when I finished school, but I did keep my work book. All of a sudden I want to revisit it, see how my brain processed things back then. Also for the information because a lot of them are relevant to some of my more recent stuff.
...I never expected that rainy, lonely visit to the Salt and Tobacco Museum in Shibuya to be of interest to me 7 years in the future.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿