2014年1月23日木曜日

A New Year (and Cheese)

The new year's was great (happy new year!) - I was able to watch the Kouhaku Utagassen (an iconic Japanese end-of-the-year song show), I read Nuribotoke no Utage: Utage no Shimatsu (which was fantastic, obviously), and did not freeze my toes off during the crazy cold spell (it's really cold again the past few days...).

And it's rather unrelated, but I realized I am ok with cheese.

Well, long story short, I never grew up eating a lot of cheese. Japan isn't exactly a cheese-loving culture. And for some strange reason, I just didn't like cheese.
In my past few years in Canada, I've become used to - even like - cheese on stuff like pizza and grilled cheese sandwiches. But I was still very reluctant to eat chunks of pure cheese. I would most likely stay well away from it at parties and the like.

Recently, I was exposed to brie. I realized I could eat that, since it didn't really taste like cheese (I think it tastes closer to butter).
So, over the holidays, I decided to be bold and bought a whole round thingy of brie cheese. It was surprisingly good.

And that is my new year's cheese story.
I mean, it's a good start to the year, right? I tried something new and it was a positive experience.

Other than that, I've been drinking way too much half-caf instant coffee and I think my stomach is very much harrassed by the caffeine.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿